Friday, January 11, 2013

So Far, So Good

Day 2 was yesterday, and I started off the morning with 2 of the egg and bacon "muffins" I'd made the day before. I had a quilt guild meeting, so I stopped off at Starbuck's for a coffee with some sugar-free caramel syrup in it. Then at the meeting, I had nuts, tangerine slices, one small pretzel, one small piece of sugar-free cheesecake, and one cookie.  Lunch was more of Kalyn's power salad with walnuts and pickled kidney beans. Dinner was chile colorado and spanish rice. For dessert, I was inspired by the sugar-free cheesecake I'd had at the guild meeting, so I threw some little ones together. The only sugar is in the graham crackers.

(Almost) Sugar-Free Cheesecake Cups

Base:
3 graham crackers, crushed finely
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons Splenda granular
Filling:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1 egg
1/4 cup Splenda Granular
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Topping:
1 1/2 cups frozen mixed berries
2 tablespoons Splenda granular 
1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350˚.  Put 12 silicone muffin cups in muffin tins, or use paper baking cups. In a small bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, butter and Splenda. Distribute mixture evenly among cups, and press down with the back of a spoon. In a small mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, egg, Splenda, lemon juice and baking powder. Beat with electric mixer until smooth. Spoon evenly into muffin cups.  Bake approximately 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Tops will crack. Let cool about an hour. For topping, heat the berries with the Splenda in a small saucepan until boiling. Add cornstarch/lemon juice mixture and remove from heat. Let it cool about 10 minutes, then spoon on top of the cheesecakes. Place in refrigerator to cool.

Since these are small, and low sugar, I ate two. I was in heaven.

Today was also a good day.  Breakfast was an egg-bacon-cheese quesadilla, and lunch was a bowl of frosted mini-wheat cereal. Now I know that the cereal was not a great option, but I'd been on the phone for 3 hours, mostly on hold, working on my change in prescription coverage.  At 1 pm I was starving and that was quick and easy.  Dinner is in the oven: chicken tidbits with raspberry-chipotle sauce.  I'll serve these with a side of canned corn.  I'd prefer a baked potato or some French fries, but those cravings are just going to have to fade. I think a couple of raw carrots will taste good, too.

So all is not perfect, but I've definitely toned down the sugar consumption compared to what I'd been eating last week. 



No comments: